All specialists agree: healthy hair starts from within. If your diet lacks certain nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, and proteins, your hair’s condition and thickness might deteriorate. Also, everyday stress, hormonal changes, collagen decrease, menopause, post-pregnancy, medication & over-styling can negatively impact your hair, often leading to breakage and excess shedding. While we don’t have full control over some of these factors, we definitely can manage our diet in such a way as to provide the hair with all the nutrients required for healthy growth.
Just like the rest of your body, your hair needs targeted nourishment to reach its bouncy potential. Sometimes it might be challenging to get the necessary nutrition only from your diet. In the speed century, it may be almost impossible to have the time to cook nutrient-rich meals every day. Don’t you agree? But thanks, God, we have supplements! One pill can make up for all the missing vitamins and proteins your body needs to grow strong and thicker hair.
- 1. PHYTO Phytophanère 100% Natural Hair Loss Supplement
- 2. Kiierr DHT Blocking Hair Growth Vitamins
- 3. Nutrafol Hair Loss Thinning Supplement
- 4. Cel Advanced Hair Loss Supplement
- 5. Viviscal Advanced Hair Growth Tablets
- 6. Sports Research Biotin Supplements
- 7. Propidren by HairGenics – Hair Growth Supplement
- 8. Vital Vitamins Multi Collagen Pills
- 9. SugarBearHair Vitamins
- 10. Physician’s Choice Hair Growth Vitamins
- 11. HAIRFLUENCE Premium Hair Growth Formula
How supplements help hair growth?
Studies suggest that hair loss is often caused by a lack of necessary nutrients, such as iron, zinc, niacin, vitamins A, D, E, fatty acids, selenium, folic acid, biotin, proteins, collagen, and antioxidants. According to research, nutritional deficiency may impact both hair structure and hair growth, leading to conditions such as telogen effluvium, androgenetic alopecia, female pattern hair loss, or alopecia areata. Proper nutrition is also linked with long, dense, thicker, shiny, and voluminous hair. All these lead to the same conclusion: taking supplements can reduce hair loss and make hair grow faster by eliminating nutritional deficiencies.
No matter your hair type, you’ll likely notice results after boosting the level of proteins, vitamins, and collagen inside your body. Experts recommend taking supplements twice a year, during spring and fall, when the hair is shedding the most because of the seasonal change.
What is good for hair growth and thickness
Welp, let’s see what supplements are actually essential for hair growth and thickness: they should include one or more of the following minerals, proteins, and vitamins, of which deficiencies are known to cause hair loss:
- Iron – Iron deficiency is the world’s most common nutritional deficiency and is a well-known cause of hair loss. Iron is an essential mineral that your body stores in the form of ferritin. You can also say ferritin is a protein that stores iron for the body to use as needed. Ferritin can be found in many body parts, including hair follicles. When your body lacks iron, it can borrow ferritin from your hair follicles, weakening them. Studies confirmed an association between decreased ferritin levels and hair loss. Also, without iron, the body cannot produce enough red blood cells responsible for the transport of oxygen around the body.
- Zinc – A deficiency of this mineral is known to cause hair loss and damage the existed hair, causing it to break. A study found that out of 312 people suffering from alopecia areata and androgenic alopecia, they all presented lower zinc concentrations in the body. They also found zinc supplementation to restore hair condition in most cases.
- Niacin – Niacin, or vitamin B3, is needed for our bodies to convert carbohydrates into energy. It improves blood circulation and brings oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicle. Due to the effects of niacin on hair follicles, it’s believed that a deficiency of this vitamin may weaken hair follicles and cause them to produce thin hair.
- Fatty acids – Essential fatty acids linoleic acid (an omega-6 fatty acid) and alpha-linolenic acid (an omega-3 fatty acid) may reduce hair loss by inhibition of 5α-reductase that converts testosterone to DHT — a hormone known to cause hair follicles to miniaturize, contributing to pattern hair loss.
- Vitamins D, A, E, and biotin (vitamin H) may also play a role in healthy hair growth.
- Antioxidants – Antioxidants are compounds that can neutralize oxidative stress damage. Many elements count as antioxidants, including zinc, selenium, and vitamins A, C, and E.
Worth mentioning that supplements are believed to work only when your condition is caused by nutritional deficiencies. There is currently a lack of data regarding the effects of supplementation in people without nutrient deficiency. So before taking supplements, it’s best to advise your doctor to confirm the causes of your hair loss and what your body actually needs.
Hair growth supplements
If you want to try hair growth supplements and have no idea where to start, here are the best of them!
1. PHYTO Phytophanère 100% Natural Hair Loss Supplement
Each dose of Phyto’s supplements contains vitamins, essential fatty acids, and antioxidants, all necessary for natural hair growth. They are a lifesaver for weak, thinning, and damaged hair. With just two capsules per day, your hair will look fuller, thicker, shinier, and healthier — the botanical and high potency formula with vitamin B, C, E, pro-vitamin A, and omega 3 and 6 has the building blocks to make that happen. You are only two caps away from that thicker, denser-looking mane you always wanted!
2. Kiierr DHT Blocking Hair Growth Vitamins
Kiierr offers one of the best DHT blocking vitamins on the market! Made with all-natural ingredients, these vitamins block DHT, improve scalp circulation, and help promote hair growth. Unlike other harsh treatments, DHT vitamins are all natural and gentle. Formulated with horsetail extract, folic acid, vitamin B, and saw palmetto. Saw palmetto works by blocking the main enzyme called 5 alpha-reductase which can build up around the base of the hair follicle. Saw palmetto also helps loosen build-up on the scalp that restricts micro-circulation and capillary blood flow and delivery of vital nutrients and minerals to the follicle papilla and cuticle.
*For maximum results, pair these vitamins with one of Kiierr’s laser caps. Rated #1 for hair growth products.
3. Nutrafol Hair Loss Thinning Supplement
Nutrafol supplements include Synergen Complex, a proprietary blend of clinically active ingredients that your hair actually needs. Nutrafol pills promote hair growth, strength, and thickness and are 100% drug-free — and guess what? They really work! The whole diet contains 120 capsules, with 4 capsules per day, will last you one month! The ashwagandha extract balances stress hormones to support the hair growth cycle, while the Tocotrienol Complex improves hair density by lowering oxidative stress from the environment. At the same time, marine collagen provides amino acids as building blocks of hair-strengthening. It’s an all-in-one package that’ll eliminate any deficiencies that can cause hair breakage.
4. Cel Advanced Hair Loss Supplement
Here is something formulated with patented stem cell technology that stimulates dormant and damaged cells. More than that, these supplements contain vitamin C, niacin, vitamin B6, biotin, and zinc, feeding your follicles all they need to produce healthy hair. Regular use improves the scalp’s blood flow, while vitamins and minerals can prevent thinning and shedding. Cel’s supplements are also enriched with arginine extract, which extends the anagen phase and regulates cell proliferation. Finally, the olive oil and protein extract nourishes, hydrates, and protects your hair from damage, further increasing thickness and soothing the scalp’s irritability.
5. Viviscal Advanced Hair Growth Tablets
Viviscal hair supplements nourish hair and promote hair growth from within by offering vital nutrients to follicles to prolong the anagen phase. This product contains the exclusive marine complex AminoMar, plus vitamin C, biotin, zinc, iron, and horsetail extract, to nourish hair from the roots to the ends. Ideally, take one tablet twice daily for 3 to 6 months. It will help maintain the ideal environment for healthy hair growth.
6. Sports Research Biotin Supplements
If you have confirmed that biotin deficiency is the cause of your hair loss, then you must try these supplements. Packed with 5000 mcg of biotin and infused with cold-pressed organic coconut oil, Sports Research’s pills will do all the work to make your hair look fabulous again. These supplements sell so much because they work and actually make your hair grow faster. People all over the world love ’em, and I’m sure you’ll do it too!
7. Propidren by HairGenics – Hair Growth Supplement
Propidren’s formula contains DHT blockers that work to stop hair loss and help thicken the existing hair. A highly effective combination of clinically proven ingredients, such as nettle extract, horsetail, pygeum bark powder, and green tea extract, helps regenerate damaged hair follicles. Moreover, it’s formulated with saw palmetto extract and other powerful ingredients that help reduce DHT levels. Also, it includes biotin – a vitamin that produces keratin, increases hair elasticity and wraps your hair in a protective layer to prevent it from becoming brittle and weak.
8. Vital Vitamins Multi Collagen Pills
These collagen peptides pills include all five types of collagen to help restore hair health. It’s an all-in-one supplement with a potent blend of hydrolyzed collagen peptides from grass-fed beef, collagen from eggshell, chicken bone broth collagen, and X collagen in a convenient small capsule form. These collagen pills are ethically sourced from pure, non-GMO, grass-fed, pasture-raised, hormone-free, and cruelty-free sources. It contains zero gluten, wheat, yeast, artificial ingredients, and preservatives, providing you with a safe and potent way to support your hair’s health and beauty.
9. SugarBearHair Vitamins
One pack assures a three months diet for hair growth, and you’ll get even a gift: a professional bamboo hairbrush! These supplements are for you if you don’t like to swallow pills — they’re actually gummies made with real berries for a deliciously sweet flavor, coconut oil, and a dash of sugar. Vitamins A, C, D, E, B-6, B-12, folic acid, biotin, pantothenic acid, iodine, and zinc work as active ingredients to get your hair back to normal.
10. Physician’s Choice Hair Growth Vitamins
Physician’s Choice’s formula includes EVNolMax, a proprietary blend of vitamins E, known for its potent antioxidant properties. Bamboo, biotin, vitamins, and minerals are not missing and work to create a favorable environment for hair follicles to grow thicker hair. They even contain Cynatine HNS, a patented version of soluble keratin, responsible for protecting and strengthening hair.
11. HAIRFLUENCE Premium Hair Growth Formula
Or you can try Zhou Nutrition’s Supplements, veggie capsules, ideal for all hair types. Stimulating cell growth while supporting existing hair, Hairfluence may be exactly what you need right now! You can up your nutrient intake with this all-in-one premium supplement featuring growth-inducers like MSM, biotin, collagen hydrolysate, and bamboo extract. More than that, it includes vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, D3, pantothenic acid & calcium. If you want healthier, fuller, faster-growing hair, it’s attainable with Hairfluence, this once-daily supplement that supports healthy hair from the inside out.